Sunday, February 10, 2008

Strange Fascinations

Lately I've been enjoying reading blogs written by folks on Antarctica. They remind me that there are those who live and thrive even where it is way, way colder than our winter is here.

I have enjoyed reading science fiction for many years. Reading Antarctican blogs is like that, but more real. Living on that icy continent seems similar to living on another planet.

The bloggers in that extreme southern region have a very quirky sense of humour. I think it's a requirement of the psych tests they have to pass before being allowed to go there. Nobody stays there for long. They take quite long breaks and sometimes one stint on the ice is enough. It's a harsh place to live and work. It's often interesting to see where they go on holidays and how they think about the rest of the world when they get back to it.

Here are a few of my favourites lately:
the siren song of the antibears
his descriptions of the mustache competition and the spam cooking fest are hilarious!
Ice, White and Blue (it looks like she's leaving again - read her back posts - great stuff)
Homeless Heidi (a polie back for her fifth winter)

I saw a good list of other current blogs recently, but can't find it now, or I'd post it here too.

3 comments:

Sarah Elaine said...

There are so many different places and ways to live. It's remarkable, really.

Ellie Hamilton said...

Now, that is "cool!" I never thought of reading blogs of people in Antarctica! I'll check 'em out!

Thank you for wading through my "can't read music" post. It's sort of a life history, one aspect of my life, anyway, and you're the only one who seems to have read it :-) S'OK, it's my history whether anyone reads it or not!

Ellie Hamilton said...

Thanks for wishing me "Happy New Year!" I feel excited again!